Brazilian Steel Industry in Survival mode for the Foreseeable Future

The Brazilian steel industry has seem better days. If we look at the three stocks traded as ADRs in the NYSE, we can see the depth of their agony in the last ten years: Gerdau (NYSE:GGB): Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional – CSN (NYSE:SID): Usiminas (OTC:USNZY): In the 27th Brazilian Steel Congress, held by the Brazil Steel … Continue reading Brazilian Steel Industry in Survival mode for the Foreseeable Future

Billionaire Court Win for Santander Brasil

Santander Brasil announced yesterday (3) that it won a cause of R$ 4.8 billion in court that will provide an extraordinary profit in the second quarter. With all that money positively affecting its balance sheet, the bank took the opportunity to announce an extra provision of R $ 1.6 billion. Much of this additional provision should … Continue reading Billionaire Court Win for Santander Brasil

Pão de Açúcar and Casino Create a Giant Global E-Commerce Company: Cnova

Grupo Pão de Açúcar (aka Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição – CBD), Via Varejo (VVAR11:BR) and French group Casino Casino Guichard-Perrachon (OTC:CGUIF) (OTCPK:CGUSY) have announced a joint venture to create a giant new e-commerce company: Cnova. CBD and Via Varejo will own 53.5% of the new company, while the remaining 46.5% will belong to Grupo Casino. The French … Continue reading Pão de Açúcar and Casino Create a Giant Global E-Commerce Company: Cnova

Itaú Unibanco: Largest Private-Controlled Bank in Latin America

Itaú is the second largest bank in Brazil. Only behind Banco do Brasil, which is a government-controlled bank, even though part of its equity is traded at Bovespa. We do not recommend exposure to government-controlled companies in Brazil so Itaú is the largest bank we cover in LATAM. Itaú Unibanco was formed as the merge … Continue reading Itaú Unibanco: Largest Private-Controlled Bank in Latin America

Sugar and Ethanol Producer? Cosan is much more than that nowadays!

Cosan’s most known business is indeed Ethanol and Sugar production. That’s how the company started and they are still the largest producer in Brazil and a major player worldwide. However, due to volatility in these commodities’ prices, Cosan’s management has been diversifying its activities in the last few years and now half of it’s EBITDA … Continue reading Sugar and Ethanol Producer? Cosan is much more than that nowadays!

Braskem: Largest Petrochemical in Latin America

Braskem is Brazil’s largest integrated petrochemical cracker and thermoplastics maker. The company produces a portfolio of petrochemical products including ethylene, propylene, butadiene, toluene, xylene, benzene, gasoline, diesel oil, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), as well as thermoplastic resins, such as polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). As of December 31, 2011, the Company had 35 … Continue reading Braskem: Largest Petrochemical in Latin America

Got MIlk? Got Meat? BR Foods has strong brands in the meat processing and dairy industry in Brazil

BR Foods owns three very strong brands in the food market in Brazil: Perdigão, Sadia and Batavo. With more than 55,000 employees, it is one the largest Brazilian processed food companies. Its international operations reach more than 140 countries. The firm sells over 3,000 products both domestically and abroad, with a focus on the sale of processed … Continue reading Got MIlk? Got Meat? BR Foods has strong brands in the meat processing and dairy industry in Brazil

Investing in Bradesco: building on its presence

Bradesco is the third-largest bank in Brazil. Unlike in most developed countries where small banks and credit unions are always present, in Brazil, the bank industry has a well-established oligopoly, where the 4 major banks have around 70% of the market share together. This oligopoly along with the high switching-cost in the bank industry gives … Continue reading Investing in Bradesco: building on its presence

Santander Brasil: Decent Investment with potential mid-term upside

Santander is the fourth-largest bank in Brazil. Unlike in most developed countries where small banks and credit unions are always present, in Brazil, the bank industry has a well-established oligopoly, where the 4 major banks have around 70% of the market share together. This oligopoly, along with the high switching-cost in the bank industry, gives … Continue reading Santander Brasil: Decent Investment with potential mid-term upside

Ambev: Great Long-Term Investment. Cheers!

Ask any Brazilian what is their favorite beer and you are likely to get one of these three answers: Skol, Brahma or Antarctica. Since we are talking about Ambev in this post, you must be guessing Ambev owns Skol, which is the dominant beer brand in Brazil. That’s partly right. Ambev does own Skol. But … Continue reading Ambev: Great Long-Term Investment. Cheers!